Arm in Arm: The Day BEFORE the Day

The day before our wedding day looked something like this:

  • 8:30 a.m., wake up
  • 9:30 a.m., drive an hour for beauty appointment
  • 11 a.m., drive an hour back home
  • 12 p.m., pick up baby’s breath from the grocery store and drop it off to be made into bouquets and boutonnieres
  • 12:30 p.m., drive by the florist to approve my bouquet and the ladies’ corsages
  • 12:45 p.m., lunch with Mr. A
  • 2:00 p.m., meet photographer at the church to go over the game plan for tomorrow
  • 3:30 p.m., HAVE A GOOD STRESS CRY
  • 3:50 p.m., buy gifts for our ceremony readers
  • 4:30 p.m., finish up some last minute wedding projects
  • 5:30 p.m., take a shower/get dressed for the rehearsal
  • 6:30 p.m., wedding rehearsal
  • 7:30 p.m., rehearsal dinner
  • 9:30 p.m., drinks with out-of-town friends and family
  • 11:00 p.m., continue working on last minute projects
  • Midnight, cover the groom’s cake with fondant and stack it
  • 3 a.m., fall into bed in total exhaustion

So, I figured the day before our wedding was probably going to be pretty hectic.  I imagined it would be something like being the director of a musical production being put on by our local community theater and the feeling one gets on opening night (I’ve directed many a production in the past and it’s a crazy mad dash to get everything finished up before people start walking in to see the show.)  But you guys, the day before the wedding was like that feeling times a million.  Nothing, NOT A THING could prepare me for the craziness of the day before our wedding day; I was running around non-stop that entire morning and afternoon to try and take care of last minute things, and then 3:30 in the afternoon hit.  Mama Dillo called to tell me that the 50 cupcakes I had baked from scratch a few days before were now completely pulling apart from their liners, and I totally lost it.  Not because I was bummed about the cupcakes necessarily, I was just so stressed out and pressed for time as it was and there was NO WAY I would have time to make another 50 before the wedding day.  The minute she heard me start to cry on the phone, however, she went into “taking care of business” mode, told me not to worry, and that it would be taken care of.  I trusted her.  (Spoiler alert:  Mama Dillo came through and baked 50 more before our rehearsal dinner. She’s a machine!)

The rest of the day was kind of a blur.  It was all about running  last minute errands, greeting our out of town family, and getting everything together for the rehearsal.  I’ll admit, I kinda looked like poo for the rehearsal (which is why there are no pictures of the rehearsal actually taking place.)  My hair was totally volume-less, I didn’t feel like wearing the dress I planned on wearing (I wore slacks, of all things!) and my makeup was more or less lazily done.  I couldn’t stop sweating to save my life.  Suffice it to say, though, the rehearsal did, indeed happen, and it went smoothly and perfectly.  The only weird part was practicing walking down the aisle with my dad–with that small, intimate amount of people all staring at me, it made me feel really self-conscious! (This is coming from the girl who grew up performing in front of people from the age of three.)  It was definitely a bizarre, slightly uncomfortable emotion I didn’t anticipate at all, and I only hoped that when we were doing it “for real” that it would feel different.

Mr. A picked up the tab for the rehearsal dinner.  We ended up booking a bistro-style place called Town Square Restaurant (conveniently located on our town square!)  It’s typically only open during lunch time, but we rented the entire restaurant for the evening and had the owner serve chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, green beans and peach cobbler (buffet style) for all our friends and family.  It was so nice having the entire restaurant to ourselves for the evening, and by golly, that food was DELISH.  It was especially a treat for all our Yankee relatives who hadn’t had a southern chicken fried steak in quite some time. 😉  We had about 45 people total join us for dinner that evening, and it was such a fun, stress-free time to catch up with college friends, say hello to people we hadn’t seen in FOREVER, and have our families meet!

Here's our crowd before we lined up at the buffet to get our grub on.  It was the perfect space for our rehearsal dinner!

Here’s our crowd before we lined up at the buffet to get our grub on. It was the perfect space for our rehearsal dinner!

An awful, blurry, slightly embarrassing picture of our dinner that evening...I almost forgot to snap this shot, but the blogger in the back of my mind said "document this!" So, I did.

An awful, blurry, slightly embarrassing picture of our dinner that evening…I almost forgot to snap this shot, but the blogger in the back of my mind said “document this!” So, I did.

After dinner, we all headed across the street to the town’s newest (and most happenin’) place, called Fat Grass, for a few drinks and casual conversation.  It was 11 p.m. before we finally headed back to my parents’ place and finished up some last minute projects before Mama Dillo and I got to work on assembling the groom’s cake.  We had baked the cakes the day before, so all that needed to be done was to ice them, cover them in fondant, and stack them accordingly to build our Lego-inspired creation.  It was 3 a.m. before we were finished, and Mr. A and his groomsmen came in from playing washers in my parents’ backyard to approve our handiwork.

By that time, I knew I needed to go to bed.  We’d have to get up bright and early the next morning to head over to decorate the reception venue, and as wild and hectic as the day had been, I knew tomorrow would be even worse.  So, I told Mr. A goodnight, climbed the stairs up to my childhood bedroom, and collapsed in exhaustion.  I knew that tomorrow I was in for the absolute time of my life, and despite how excited I was, my tiredness trumped my anxious anticipation almost immediately–I was gone before I even hit the pillow.

What did the day BEFORE your day look like?  Were you running around like a mad person?  Cool as a cucumber?  Somewhere in between?  Were there any last minute catastrophes or issues you hadn’t planned on popping up the day before your wedding?

Up next, we rise and shine and set up the venue!

armadillo wedding recaps graphic


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s